When I tell people I have Celiac Disease I often get a response that goes something like this “I’d just die if I couldn’t eat bread!” (um, really?)
I have a secret. I don’t actually miss eating bread.
I know – Gasp!
I miss baking bread. The kneading, the warm yeasty smell and the aroma that fills the house while it cooks. That, I miss. The eating of it, meh. However, one thing that bread is really good at, is being a vehicle for other foods. Lets face it, a PB&J, BLT, Tuna Melt – they all have one thing in common – bread.
Usually, lettuce makes a good stand-in, but sometimes, you just need something a little more, well, bread-y.
When my kids were little, if we wanted them to eat something, we’d put it on a tortilla and magically, it would disappear. I could make a breakfast burrito with one hand tied behind my back! (ok, probably not, but in my head I was a real whiz back then…)
These wraps are not quite tortillas, but they are a quick batter based wrap. Sort of like a sturdy crepe. They are quite pliable while still remaining strong enough to hold whatever you put into it. I used it as a delivery system for pulled pork and veggies and it worked perfectly.
The first time I made these, I prepared the recipe as written below, but on subsequent tests, I whirred it up in my blender and it made for a very fast preparation and fewer dishes to wash. Both methods work well. This is a nice canvas to season and doctor as you please. I think they would be delicious as a sweet wrap for breakfast or dessert – filled with strawberries and coconut cream – yikes – might have to do that right now!
If you are missing tortillas, following a paleo diet, or just want to try something new, go for it. You’ll like it. My family gave it 6 thumbs up.
Gluten Free Herbed Wraps
Prep time: 10 min.
Cook time: 15 min.
2 eggs, room temp.
1 Cup Almond milk, or milk of choice
1 T. Extra virgin olive oil
3/4 Arrowroot powder (or Tapioca Starch)
3 T. Coconut flour
1/2 tsp. Celtic sea salt (or kosher salt)
1 tsp. Braggs “Sprinkle” or herbs of choice
- Whisk eggs together and add milk and oil.
- In a separate dish, whisk together the flours and salt.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Add the herbs.
- Heat a 10″ frying pan and add olive oil, butter or ghee in a thin layer.
- Add 1/3 cup of batter to the pan and swirl to spread around the pan. These should resemble a thick crepe.
- When the top no longer looks glossy it is ready to flip (about 1-2 min).
- Flip the wrap and cook on the alternate side for about 30sec. – 1 min
- Remove from the pan and place on a plate lined with paper towel.
- Repeat until all of the batter has been used.
- Fill with your favorite savory fillings – turkey, tacos, pulled pork…sky’s the limit!
- This recipe can be prepared in the blender – just add all of the ingredients in and blend. It’s a huge time-saver!
- This can easily be converted to a sweet recipe. Swap the olive oil with Coconut oil and add a tsp. of Cinnamon and Sugar in place of the herbs.
- These freeze very well – place them in between sheets of parchment paper and in a zip top bag and lay flat in the freezer. Then they can be taken out 1 at a time.
- Adapted gratefully from Paleo Newbie